Divorce between Two US nationals and/or servicemen & women

How to Get Divorced

The only way two US nationals, including US military servicemen and women, can get divorced while residing in Japan is to go through the Japanese Court System. The US embassy and consulates or legal offices on US military base will not be able to provide assistance with divorce procedures.

Legality of Divorce in Japan for US citizens

Divorce ruling by a court in Japan is considered legal in the US. This is because the fact that the parties reside in Japan gives the applicable court in Japan jurisdiction to order a divorce, even if the Petitioner and/or the Respondent is non-Japanese national. In addition, the Japanese court will review both parties’ US state divorce laws to ensure that the judgement complies with the US laws and is considered legal in the US.

Filing (applying) for a Divorce

To file for a divorce, the Petitioner and the Respondent must prepare all necessary documents requested by the court. Upon submission of the documents, the court receptionist will review your documents and determine whether the application is adequate to be accepted.

Hearing Date

Hearing date is when both parties appear in court before a judge. The judge will go over every detail on the divorce application. The parties may mention anything they want to add to the divorce decree or matters that shall be decided in relation to divorce during the hearing.  However, we recommend the parties settle everything between them by the time of hearing, if possible, as the longer the hearing takes, the higher the interpreter cost gets.

Divorce Decrees in Japan

After two US service members get divorced through a Court in Japan, the Court will issue a Divorce Decree usually within 1 – 3 days. The divorce decree will contain the Petitioner’s and the Respondent’s basic information, case number, the divorce date (hearing date), court official including the judge who oversaw your case, and that the parties are divorced. In addition to this, if you have children or shared properties, particulars regarding such matter will also be stated in the divorce decree.

In Japan, unlike many countries, there is no waiting period between the hearing date and the date the divorce is finalized. Hence, the divorce decree issued from the Court is considered a Final Divorce Decree.

Okinawa Divorce is official legal translation company with a office in Chatan Town, Okinawa. We specifically help US service members, along with civilians get divorced in Okinawa. We provide the easiest way to get divorced in Okinawa by helping customers choose the path of a mutual agreement divorce.